This recipe is perfect for those ‘Mum you said you’d bake cupcakes for my School Fete tomorrow’ moments. When it’s 6 o’clock the evening before and you most definitely forgot to make the cupcakes. It’s super quick and easy, while still delivering on flavour. Hurrah!
110g softened butter
110g caster sugar
110g self raising flour
½ tsp vanilla extract
150g softened butter
300g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp milk
Optional food colouring to jazz it up a bit
Heat your oven to 180C/gas 4 and fill a 12 cupcake tray with cupcake cases.
1. Beat the butter and sugar together until nice and fluffy and then whisk in the eggs gradually.
2. Add the flour, vanilla and a pinch of salt, then whisk it all together and portion into the cupcake cases.
3. Bake for 15 mins until golden. Take them out and check them with a knife. If it comes out clean, you’re good to go.
4. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
5. To make the buttercream, whisk the butter then add the icing sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Whisk together until you have a smooth mixture, then beat in the milk. If you’re using food colouring, stir it in now. Use a piping bag if you’re fancy or just scoop the mix on top of the cooled cupcakes.
There you go! The best cupcakes at the fete. You’re welcome x